In this episode, Dr. Bubbs interviews hypertrophy and body composition expert researcher Dr. Brad Schoenfeld PhD. Brad shares his research and incredible insights on the ideal sets, reps and periodization for building lean muscle, the myth of multiple meals increasing metabolism, his findings on fasted-cardio for fat loss, as well as his nutrition tips for maximizing lean muscle gains. Brad also dives into going keto for building muscle, the impacts of "fat bombs" on testosterone levels, and so much more. Brad drops a plethora of knowledge bombs and provides numerous simple, and actionable take aways for anyone trying to build muscle or burn fat.
Weight Loss "Lay-Ups"
1) To lose weight you need to achieve a caloric deficit.
2) Multiple meals throughout the day does NOT increase metabolism and promote weight loss.
3) Morning fasted-cardio is neither beneficial, nor detrimental.
Hypertrophy "Performance Hacks"
1) Minimal suggested carbohydrate intake for maximizing hypertrophy = 3g/kg.
2) Incomplete glycogen recovery increases AMPK thus comprosiming anabolic capacity.
3) "Clean Bulk" - aim for 200-400 calorie surplus per day.
Brad's Big Black Coffee & his morning dog walk
About Dr. Brad Schoenfeld
Dr. Brad Schoenfeld is an internationally renowned fitness expert and widely regarded as one of the leading authorities on body composition training, muscle development, and fat loss. Brad is a best-selling author and his books have sold over a half-million copies, including the The M.A.X. Muscle Plan - widely referred to as the "muscle-building bible" -Strong and Sculpted, a cutting-edge body sculpting program targeted to women, and his seminal textbook “Science and Develoment of Muscle Hypertrophy”, the first text devoted to an evidence-based elucidation of the mechanisms and strategies for optimizing muscle growth. Brad is a lifetime drug-free bodybuilder, has won numerous natural bodybuilding titles and currently and acts as director of their human performance laborator at Lehman College in the Bronx, NY.