In Season 2 Episode 1, Dr. Bubbs chats with Danny Lennon MS, founder of Sigma Nutrition, about all things weight loss: foundational principles of weight loss, food quality, the impact of fiber and protein on palatability, is low-carb superior to a low-fat diet, behavior change secrets, and strategies for promoting successful, long-term weight loss. Great insights and practical tips from Danny!
Lay-Ups From This Episode
1) The overarching theme for all successful diets is caloric restriction
2) Increases in protein promote superior satiety and thermic effect of food compared to carbohydrates and fats.
3) Compliance is an overwhelming predictor of weight loss success.
Performance Tips In This Episode
1) Fuel for the work required.
2) Elite athletes – equal distribution of protein across the day
3) Lack of sleep leads to direct effects on appetite and desire for hyper-palatable foods.
The “Big Rocks” - Danny’s Tip
Take stock in “why” you want to make a change; what is the underlying reason behind that reason. Take the time to peel back the layers to find out.
About Danny Lennon
Founder of Sigma Nutrition and the popular podcast Sigma Nutrition Radio. He has a formal scientific background in academia, completing a master’s degree (MSc.) in Nutritional Sciences at University College Cork. During this time Danny researched vitamin D, directly under the world-renowned researcher Professor Kevin Cashman. Danny also works as a performance nutritionist to professional MMA fighters, professional boxers and competitive powerlifters. He has consulted w several teams in a number of sports ad has an online coaching service helping a wide array of clients with nutrition related issues. Outside of the nutrition world, Danny is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu blue belt, raw powerlifter and a life-long Arsenal fan.