In this first episode, Dr. Bubbs explains why he started the Dr. Bubbs Performance Podcast and takes a deep-dive into gut health and the microbiome with expert Mike Mutzel, author of Belly Fat Effect: The Real Secret About How Your Diet, Intestinal Health, and Gut Bacteria Help You Burn Fat. You'll learn how the food you eat, your exercise routine and lifestyle deeply impact your microbiome, and subsequently, play a powerful role in blood sugar control, inflammation and performance.
Microbiome "Lay-Ups" from this Episode (easy, simple, actionable takeaways)
1) Eat a diverse diet, all colours of the rainbow, to support a healthy microbiome
2) Whey or pea protein supports healthy gut hormone balance
3) Interval training (i.e. HIIT) improves gut hormone balance
"Performance Hacks" found in this Episode
1) Add zinc carnosine supplement when taking NSAIDs to offset negative effects of NSAIDs
2) Meal timing can help set circadian rhythm
3) HRV may serve as a proxy for inflammatory status
Mike Mutzel's "Morning Pour-Over" - Pour-over coffee, black, with added MCTs if facing a cognitive heavy task or heavy training
About Mike Mutzel
Mike Mutzel is author of Belly Fat Effect: The Real Secret About How Your Diet, Intestinal Health, and Gut Bacteria Help You Burn Fat and founder of High-Intensity Health podcast. He has a degree in Biology from Western Washington University and Masters in Clinical Nutrition from the University of Bridgeport. Mike is a graduate of the Institute for Functional Medicine's (IFM) 'Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice' (AFMCP) and is an independent consultant for one of the world's leading professional nutrition companies, regularly conducting workshops, teaching leading-edge science to progressive clinicians across the country.