In this episode, Dr. Bubbs sits down with Cambridge and Oxford graduate Dr. Tommy Wood MD for a deep dive into the "athlete's gut" and common digestive complaints. He discusses the "keystone" bacteria that make up a healthy gut, common triggers that lead to dysbiosis, how intense training impacts the gut, as well as solutions on the testing, food and supplement front to restore optimal gut health. Dr. Tommy drops a lot of "knowledge bombs" in this episode...take notes!
Healthy Gut "Lay Ups" From This Episode (simple, easy, actionable takeaways)
1) Akkermansia and Bifidobacterium are "keystone" bacteria that make up a healthy gut.
2) "Good" gut bacteria produce healthy levels of butyrate (a short-chain saturated fat) in the colon. High levels of buytrate in the gut reflect a healthy gut microbiota.
3) Dysbiosis and leaky gut triggers include antibiotics, NSAIDSs, excess stress, lack of sleep, Western diet.
Healthy Gut "Performance Hacks" In This Episode
1) Intense exercise is a major stressor to the gut, leading to acute hyper-permeability or leaky gut. Training "smart" and "efficient" is crucial to off-set trauma.
2) "Fat Bombs" can worsen leaky gut and endotoxin uptake into bloodstream. (Proceed with caution - context matters).
Dr. Tommy's "Keto Creamer" & Barefoot Morning Walk - 1-2 egg yolks, a bit of heavy cream & a tablespoon of his own NBT MCT oil, along with a barefoot walk!
About Dr. Tommy Wood MD
Dr. Tommy has a bachelor's degree in biochemistry from the University of Cambridge, a medical degree from the University of Oxford, and a PhD in physiology and neuroscience from the University of Oslo. Tommy is the Chief Medical Officer of Nourish Balance Thrive, an online-based company using advanced biochemical testing to optimize performance in athletes. Close to 1,000 athletes have been through the NBT program, from weekend warriors to Olympians and world champions.
Tommy has coached and competed in multiple sports including rowing, (ultra)-endurance events, CrossFit, and powerlifting. He also holds positions as President-elect of Physicians for Ancestral Health, is a Director of the British Society of Lifestyle Medicine, and a member of the Lifestyle Medicine Global Alliance advisory board. Follow Tommy on Twitter @DrRagnar