In this episode, Dr. Bubbs sits down with functional medicine expert Dr. Michael Ruscio to talk all things "thyroid"; the difference between frank hypothyroidism and thyroid dysfunction, who may benefit (and who doesn't) from thyroid medications, the rise in thyroid autoimmunity, supplements for thyroid support, if excess iodine is harmful and so much more. As usual, Dr. Ruscio cuts through the hype and delivers fantastic evidence-based advice, lots of simple, actionable tips for you or your clients.
1) A classic hypothyroid condition is diagnosed with an abnormal high TSH and abnormal low T4.
2) Subclinical hypothyroidism occurs with a high-normal TSH and normal T4.
3) If your TSH is above 10, you’ll likely respond best to medications.
1) Thyroid antibody levels can help predict your likelihood of going from subclinical thryoid to frank hypothyroidism.
2) The higher your level of antibodies (and higher the levels of TSH) when diagnose, the worse the prognosis.
3) The following supplements hae shown benefit for autoimmune thyroid conditions – selenium, vitamin D, Coenzyme Q10 and magnesium.
Espresso + cream (and intermittent fasting)
About Dr. Michael Ruscio
Dr. Michael Ruscio is a doctor, researcher, author, and health enthusiast. He practices Functional Medicine with an emphasis on natural and nutritional solutions. Dr. Ruscio gives smart, busy people who are suffering from symptoms of chronic illness simple steps to get better, and get on with their life. Specializing in autoimmune, thyroid, and digestive disorders, Dr Ruscio has spoken at The SIBO Symposium Summit, Paleo FX, Ancestral Health Symposium, Sean Croxton’s Digestion Sessions, as well as many other international conferences and top health podcasts.
Check out Dr. Ruscio's newsletter at drruscio.com/review