In this episode, Dr. Bubbs interviews nutrition and physiology expert Ryan Lowery about his upcoming book with Dr. Jacob Wilson PhD “The Ketogenic Bible – The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis”. In this interview, Ryan discusses the basics of a keto diet, potential pitfalls including the keto flu and possible mineral deficiencies, the application of keto for hypertrophy and how it impacts athletic performance, as well as keto diets for weight loss and novel applications for brain health. Ryan and Dr. Wilson are leading authorities on ketogenic diets and Ryan provides a wealth of simple, actionable tips in this episode.
"Lay Ups" - Keto Diet Fundamental
1) A ketogenic diet is a very-low carbohydrate (i.e. 50g or less), moderate protein and high fat diet.
2) Significantly reducing carbohydrate intake improves the body’s ability to burn fat as a primary fuel source.
3) It typically takes a few weeks to become “adapted” to a keto diet and you may experience adverse symptoms like fatigue, irritability, etc. The severity and duration of symptoms varies from person to person.
Keto "Performance Hacks"
1) HIIT training can blunt keto flu symptoms during adaptation period by quickly depleting glycogen stores.
2) High dose sodium (i.e. sea salt or bouillon broth) to offset losses during adaptation process
3) Keto diets should potential to support brain rehabilitation post-concussion.
- Coffee and Intermittent Fasting to start the day
About Ryan Lowery
Ryan P. Lowery a 2014 national champion baseball player, earned his BS and MS in exercise physiology and exercise and nutrition science from the University of Tampa. Ryan is currently the President of the Applied Science and Performance Institute and is finishing his PhD in Health and Human Performance.
Over his career, Ryan has published over 100 papers, abstracts, and book chapters on human performance and sports nutrition and is rapidly becoming one of the premier sport scientists in the nation. Ryan has received awards for the Exercise Science Scholar of the Year, NSCA’s Outstanding Presentation of the year, and most recently the National Exercise Science Major of the Year. Ryan recently launched his new book The Ketogenic Bible along with his business partner Dr. Jacob Wilson.