In this episode, Dr. Bubbs interviews one of the world's top experts and pioneers in sports nutrition and supplementation Dr. Jose Antonio PhD, CEO and co-founder of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. Dr. Antonio discusses the benefits of creatine for power-based sports and implications for teenagers and brain health, what exercise durations could benefit from beta-alanine and beetroot juice, who can benefit from HMB supplementation, caffeine and performance and so much more. Dr. Antonio provides some great insights, as well as shares his morning routine and tips for success in your career.
1) Creatine - 5g daily with your post-workout shake or meal. Simple, safe, effective. (Cannot achieve this supra-physiological dose without supplementation)
2) Beta-alanine - 4-6g per day for exercise bouts lasting 1-4 minutes. Simple, safe, effective. (Cannot achieve this supra-physiological dose without supplementation)
3) Caffeine - 3mg/kg bodyweight improves work capacity
Performance Hacks - Supplements
1) Creatine - May support brain health and fight off concussion-induced brain trauma
2) HMB - Beneficial in older men (and elderly) who are resistance training
3) Carbs - during intense, elite exericse (if you want to win!)
Joe's Morning Writing Ritual - Starbucks Coffee + Milk + Sugar
About Dr. Jose Antonio PhD
Dr. Jose Antonio, Ph.D. is the CEO and co-founder of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. He is a Fellow of the ISSN, American College of Sports Medicine and National Strength and Conditioning Association. He was the 2005 recipient of the NSCA Research Achievement Award and the 2009 NSCA Educator of the Year. He gives an occasional talk, writes a bit, and can read your mind (but only after consuming copious quantities of coffee). Dr. Antonio is an Assistant Professor of Exercise and Sports Science at Nova Southeastern University in beautiful South Florida and an avid paddler.