In this episode, Dr. Bubbs sits down with expert Sport Scientist and Clinical Sport Psychologist Dr. John Sullivan PhD to talk about how the brain deeply impacts performance. Dr. Sullivan discusses how nutrition builds optimal brain health, the critical role of sleep in performance, how emotions "run the show" in performance, the "gut-brain" connection and so much more in this fantastic episode! John discusses many complex topics but also provides some simple and actionable take-aways for you to upgrade your game.
Brain & Performance "Lay Ups"
1) Your nutrition builds your brain (and your gut microbiota, which supports optimal brain function)
2) Humans are dynamic, not linear 'beings'. Therefore linear athletic periodization is limited.
3) Smart phones are "designed for addiction", People check their "smart phone" every 15 minutes!
Brain "Performance Hacks"
1) Sleep is your #1 performance enhancer. Brain detoxifies during sleep (followed by other systems). Lack of sleep = lack of "systems" repair
2) "Banking Sleep" - Extending sleep "before" periods of sleep deprivation can improve performance during sleep-deprived states.
3) To motivate athletes/people - give them autonomy, make them feel part of the process
Exercise first (movement supports creativity) & black coffee (3 cups before noon)
About Dr. John Sullivan PhD
Dr. John Sullivan is a Sport Scientist and Clinical Sport Psychologist with over twenty years of clinical and scholarly experience. He currently holds appointments within the National Football League (NFL), the English Premier League (EPL), the NCAA (Providence College, University of Rhode Island, Brown University), and the elite military and law enforcement in the U.S. He conducts central nervous system (CNS) measurement/assessment, performance optimization, and concussion assessment/rehabilitation and a frequent contributor writing on sport science and sports medicine. Dr. Sullivan's latest efforts have focused on a series of books which distills the latest performance psychology, cognitive science, and neuroscience, related to optimal brain performance and health entitled The Brain Always Wins.
Follow Dr. John Sullivan on twitter @BrainAlwaysWins.