Dr. Bubbs sits down with the man, the myth, the legend...Robb Wolf! Robb launched the Paleo Diet into the stratosphere in 2010 with his NY Times best-seller The Paleo Solution and is a driving force in the ancestral health and nutrition space. In this episode, Robb talks about his evolution since his first book, the importance of "personalized nutrition" and how he's changed his diet over the years. He delves into the effect of the microbiome on blood sugar response, the pros and cons of keto diets and fasting, as well as the importance of community in health, and provides tips on training longevity and much, much more! As usual, Robb's insights are profound, succinct and highly actionable!
"Wired To Eat" Fundamental "Lay Ups" From This Episode (simple, easy, actionable items)
1) The conventional "Eat Less, Move More" guidelines to lose weight are fundamentally flawed and in direct opposition to our brain's basic instinct. We're wired to seek out high calorie foods with minimal effort. (see Optimum Foraging Strategy).
2) Constant Novelty = Increased Consumption. Constant novelty from food (or iPhone apps!) are highly addictive and light up dopamine levels in the brain, the body's "reward" signal, ultimately programming cues to seek out this food/behaviour in the future.
3) Your Environment = Success. Clear out all processed and snack foods from your pantry at home, and office work space, to set yourself up for success (and ditch the constant snacking).
Robb's "Performance Hacks" In This Episode
1) Robb's "7-Day Carb Test" - use a glucometer to assess your blood sugar response to a variety of carbs to see how you react to specific foods.
2) Use Fasting & Ketosis as a "Super-tool" - activate sirtuins (SIRT-1), cell stress mechanisms that “clean-up” abnormal cells headed toward senescence (i.e. problem cells set to trigger inflammation). Caution – heavy glycolytic sports can suffer performance decrements; only use for certain groups.
3) Pure Binaural Beats app – take belly breaths in sync with app to activate vagus nerve activity, parasymnpathetic nervous system and promote recovery.
4) For training longevity - focus on mobility & flexibility, monitor your training volume & intensity, perform a full-body workout twice a week, along with constant low-intensity movement (e.g. hiking). Practice mindfulness as you age; if you feel good, train hard. If you feel tired, keep it light!
Robb's "Feeling Frisky" Double Espresso - in the morning upon rising, sometimes a 2nd around 10am. To be avoided on high-stress or short-slept days.
About Robb Wolf
Robb Wolf is the New York Times Best Selling author of The Paleo Solution – The Original Human Diet. Robb is a former research biochemist and one of the world’s leading experts in Paleolithic nutrition. Robb has transformed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people around the world via his top ranked iTunes podcast and wildly popular seminar series. Robb has functioned as a review editor for the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism and the Journal of Evolutionary Health.
Robb is a former California State Powerlifting Champion (565 lb. Squat, 345 lb. Bench, 565 lb. Dead Lift) and undefeated amateur kickboxer. He’s provided seminars in nutrition and strength & conditioning to various governmental and military entities including NASA, The United States Navy SEALS, Naval Special Warfare, the United States Marine Corps and the Canadian Light Infantry. Robb also co-founded the first and fourth CrossFit affiliate gyms in the world.