In episode #40 Dr. Bubbs sits down with Derek Hansen, international sport performance consultant whose clientS include multiple Olympians, professional athletes and elite college athletes. Derek explores the evolutionary importance of sprinting, explains how sprinting offers a variety of training effects (not just linear), talks micro-dosing high intensity work in-season, how sprinting is key to protect against injuries, implications for hockey players training on dry land, how personal trainers can effectively add sprint to their clients' regimes and so much more. Phenomenal stuff here from one of the best in the world!
1) Sprinting is a basic and essential human function
2) Sprinting is one of the purest expressions of fight or flight response
3) Sprinting recruits maximum resources from the body, thus triggering tremendous change in fitness and health.
1) Always be critical of your work; how can you do things BETTER (not just do MORE work).
2) Hamstrings are protected in sprints of 10m (greater activation glutes, quads, calfs)
3) Hockey players exhibit same faults on dry land as they do on the ice (and corrections on dry land transfer back to ice).
Derek's morning "stochastic resonance" (i.e. coffee!)
About Derek Hansen
Derek is an International Sport Performance Consultant that has been working with athletes all ages and abilities in speed, strength and power sports since 1988. He has worked closely with some of the top performers in the world as a coach and a consultant – including Olympic medalists, world record holders, Canadian National team athletes, and professional athletes from numerous sports. He worked as the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for Simon Fraser University for 14 years, the first non-US member of the NCAA. He also serves as a performance consultant to numerous professional teams and NCAA Division 1 programs throughout North America, specializing in speed development, strategic performance planning, return-to-competition protocols and neuromuscular electrical stimulation programming. Derek is the founder and primary contributor to StrengthPowerSpeed.com, one of the premier sources of high-performance training information on the Internet.